ADVENTURE IN KILLARNEY
Welcome to our playground
The Ross is at the heart of the playground that is Killarney National Park – and there is so much adventure that awaits you. Whether you’re the novice climber, occasional high thrills seeker or the daredevil intrepid mountaineer, Killarney and its incredible environs has something for everyone. From rock climbing in the Gap of Dunloe to biking around the lakes, morning yoga in The Killarney Park or kayaking at sunset around Ross Castle, there is an astonishing choice of activity breaks in Killarney.
Here are some of our Top Tips for exploring Killarney or print off our Off The Beaten Track guide below.
- Hire a Bike: Hire a bike and cruise around the Muckross and Dinis loop, stopping for tea and a warm scone at the gorgeous setting of Dinis Cottage. If you are feeling lazy, throw your bike on the boats that pull up and hitch a lift back to Muckross House.
- Sunset Kayaks: Take a sunset kayak around Ross Castle to get a better view of this 15th century watch-tower. Marvel at the magnificent swans that have made Ross Castle their home but remember keep wildlife wild and avoid feeding them – our foods damage their health.
- Parisian Delight: Nab yourself the best almond croissant outside of Paris in Petit Delice bakery on High Street. Flaky, buttery goodness.
- Killarney’s Oldest Pubs: Enjoy a pint of the black stuff at one of Killarney’s oldest pubs, Husseys on High Street and try and grab a spot in the front snug to hide away.
- Torc Mountain: Hike Torc mountain to marvel at the incredible aerial view of Killarney and it’s lake, we promise it’s not too strenuous! Plan ahead and refill your reusable water bottle with us before the hike.
- Ice Cream Break: Chill out with some ice cream from Killarney’s best ice cream shop. Murphy’s situated on Main Street makes a mean ‘brown bread’ ice cream (don’t knock it till you try it!)
- Irish Whiskey Tasting at The Killarney Park: Our fabulous five star big sister, The Killarney Park, is just across the road from us. Whiskey tasting can be booked via The Ross and is a great way to get to know your Irish whiskeys. Why not follow it with a game of snooker in the billiards room?
- GAA: Catch a local GAA match to witness the blood sweat and tears of our national game.
- Retail Therapy: Shop like a local at the best boutiques Killarney has to offer, Scarlett & Macbees both owned by friends of The Ross, have the most gorgeous stock displayed in beautiful showrooms. Each located only 5 minutes from the door of the hotel!
- Golf: Play a round of golf on Killeen course in the Killarney Golf and Fishing Club, the home of the Irish Open.
- For the Kiddies: Take a stroll down to the playground opposite the Cathedral. They will be endlessly entertained and you can grab a coffee and ice-cream in Deenagh Lodge and support the Kerry branch of Down Syndrome Ireland.
- Live Music Bands: Hit up the Killarney Grand for a night out any day of the week. The pub has live traditional music followed by live bands each night. Rock out to the band J90 on Monday nights.
- Innisfallen Island: Convince a boatman to take you to Innisfallen Island and have a wander around and imagine what it was like when inhabited in the 8th century with monks and their students, the future High Kings of Ireland Conserve the present: leave rocks, flowers, plants, animals and all natural habitats as you find them.
- Climb Carrantuohill: Climb Carrantuohill, the tallest mountain in Ireland and stand on the ceiling of this great country. Don’t forget to leave no trace.
- Boxty’s at Bricín: Have a boxty at Bricín Restaurant and chat with owner, Johnny Maguire, one of Killarney’s greatest characters.
- Sustainable Treasures: Browse The Little Shop of Lovely Things in the hotel lobby for all things housemade, sustainable and locally produced! Be sure to nab a bar of our soap made by an Aunt of Ciara and the Treacy family. Its 100% organic made with all natural ingredients.
- Rock Climbing: Try out some rock climbing in the glacier valley, The Gap of Dunloe.
- Muckross Abbey: Visit Muckross Abbey at dusk and freak yourself out with eerie ghost stories, we have a flashlight at reception you can borrow!
- Coffee Paradise: Caffeinate up at LUNA deli and wine bar. Rumoured to be the best flat white in town and they also pour some delicious national, biodynamic wines in the evening paired with local cheeses. Always bring your own reusable coffee cup if strolling around or opt for the deposit cup scheme. Miss out on LUNA at your peril!
- Cocktails at The Lane: Join locals for the best cocktails in town at The Lane and sample some fun, casual food created by Head Chef, Antoine and his team.
- Local Beer: Sample some local beers and wood fired pizza at Killarney Brewing Company on the Muckross Road and take a little tour of their brewery and distillery out in Fossa.
- Jogging: Get your shoes on and hit the ground running for an early morning jog into the National Park, right across the road from the hotel. This is the best time to catch herds of native Red Deer quietly grazing in the surrounding lands. We have jogging maps at reception right across the road from the hotel.
- Scenic Voyage: Take a boat trip up to Lord Brandon’s cottage and hear the history of the Lakes and surrounding mountains by local boatmen. Throw your bikes in the boat too and cycle back through the National Park.
Check out our Off The Beaten Track guide below!